There are a variety of programs available to manage your email list. They can help you with every step from managing subscribers to processing the opt-outs.
Here are some of the functions a good email software program will provide:
- Manage opt-ins
- Send a message to confirm opt-in
- Send a message that requires action to fully opt-in (double opt-in)
- Personalize the messages with the subscribers name
- Automatically manage un-subscribes (removals)
- Allow uploading of existing email lists
- Remove any duplicate subscriptions
- Include additional subscriber data
- Handle deployment of messages on their servers
There are many programs you can purchase to perform these functions. Some solutions are ASP-based, which means they are web-based. These programs operate by accessing them through the Internet. You don’t need to download any software and updates to the program happen automatically. I prefer these solutions and most of the top programs operate this way.
You need to be careful when selecting a software program that uses an ASP platform. These systems support many users. They all deploy email messages from a specific IP or range of IP addresses. If someone on the system abuses their list or doesn’t follow permission rules their subscribers could complain and have the service black-listed. When that happens, many Internet Service Providers will block the mailings.
You need to be sure the service you select works hard to maintain a good reputation with the ISPs and keeps their users from abusing the system.
All in all, building your own email list can be easy, effective and fun and it can save your company lots of money in rental fees.